Keyboard input on Windows Phone 7 Emulator?

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM

In my game development I'd like to code everything to work with keyboard, and only change my controller classes when I'll be done with the game. How can I achieve that with the InputManager using the windows phone emulator?

Also what's recommanded way to do input using the windows phone emulator? Like my case where I develop using the emulator, and thus, touch not really a "good" option".

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Edited Feb 21, 2012 at 9:06 AM

If you're using the WP7 emulator, the game doesn't have access to the keyboard (after all, that's the job of the emulator, to make the game believe it's running on an actual WP7 device :D).

If it is possible to break out of the emulator somehow, I have no idea how. The code in Nuclex.Input for reading the keyboard most definitely won't even compile on WP7 because it's using some Win32-specific stuff (it's only compiled into the library for the x86 Windows PC build - on WP7 Nuclex.Input gives you a fake keyboard device that does nothing just so you don't have to add tons of checks to your code when porting from Windows or the Xbox 360 to WP7)