Game type cannot be created. The game manifest may not be properly configured.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to have Nuclex running on a sample but I'm having issues just getting the sample demos running on Windows Phone 7 :-/

It seems that whenever a reference to GuiManager is done in the Game class, the instanciation fails...

I get this exception before even reaching the ctor of the Game instance.

InvalidOperationException: Game type cannot be created.  The game manifest may not be properly configured.

Stack:
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.XnaGameApplication.XnaGameApplication_Startup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs e)   at System.Windows.CoreInvokeHandler.InvokeEventHandler(Int32 typeIndex, Delegate handlerDelegate, Object sender, Object args)   at MS.Internal.JoltHelper.FireEvent(IntPtr unmanagedObj, IntPtr unmanagedObjArgs, Int32 argsTypeIndex, String eventName)

This is trying to build and run Nuclex.UserInterface.Demo.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Thanks!
--
Matt 

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM
Edited Nov 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I haven't observed this exact error message before, but there was a problem with Nuclex.UserInterface which might surface in a similar fashion: referencing to any class that's derived from System.WeakReference in code leads to an unceremonious crash before you even get the chance to debug anything.

Can you try it again with the latest nightly build (https://devel.nuclex.org/teamcity/project.html?projectId=project6&tab=projectOverview&guest=1)?

Just copy the build artifacts from the xna-4.0-phone7 build over contents of the directory of the same name from the Nuclex Framework binaries.

I haven't observed this exact error message before, but there was a problem with Nuclex.UserInterface which might surface in a similar fashion: referencing to any class that's derived from System.WeakReference in code leads to an unceremonious crash before you even get the chance to debug anything.

Can you try it again with the latest nightly build (https://devel.nuclex.org/teamcity/project.html?projectId=project6&tab=projectOverview&guest=1)?

Just copy the build artifacts from the xna-4.0-phone7 build over contents of the directory of the same name from the Nuclex Framework binaries.

There is still a "minor" issue with Nuclex.UserInterface on Windows Phone 7: I haven't wired up touch input yet. As a workaround, you can convert touch events to mouse events and pass them to the GUI (simply call guiManager.Screen.InjectMousePress(), guiManager.Screen.InjectMouseMove() and guiManager.Screen.InjectMouseRelease()). I'm working on this for the next release, but it will take a bit of time because I'm planning to do it proper and implement it together with WM_TOUCH (for Windows 7) in Nuclex.Input :o)

There is still a "minor" issue with Nuclex.UserInterface on Windows Phone 7: I haven't wired up touch input yet. As a workaround, you can convert touch events to mouse events and pass them to the GUI (simply call guiManager.Screen.InjectMousePress(), guiManager.Screen.InjectMouseMove() and guiManager.Screen.InjectMouseRelease()). I'm working on this for the next release, but it will take a bit of time because I'm planning to do it proper and implement it together with WM_TOUCH (for Windows 7) in Nuclex.Input :o)

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I have Nuclex.UserInterface running on the Windows Phone 7 emulator right now. There was an issue with the SpriteBatch (which it seems doesn't reset the rasterizer state properly, but only on Windows Phone 7), other than that, it's working great here.

I'm also currently working on touch support in Nuclex.Input, so with the next release, the GUI component will work without any crutches to feed it input on WP7.