Basic Tutorials and Examples

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I read that they exist, but I can't find them.

I reccomend putting them on the frontpage.

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Click on downloads, there's a package named nuclex-framework-r????-demos.zip.

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I checked the demos.

While they are nice, I can't find any tut on how to correctly use the Nuclex framework.

I need it for inputs but the documentation seems to be missing :S

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM

The Nuclex Framework is just a collection of loose components you can use any way you like. There is no fixed structure or recommended practice as I've taken great care not to impose any design on games using this framework.

If, for example, you want to make use of Nuclex.Input in your game, you add a reference to Nuclex.Input.dll, check out the Nuclex.Input.Demo project (where a new instance of a class named InputManager is created that is then used to query a game pad) and work from there. Same with the UserInterface: create a GuiManager, look how Nuclex.UserInterface.Demo accesses its 'Screen' to add a 'Window' to it and work from there.

This is not like a monolithic engine where you have to first learn how to initialize it and where to put your own code - it's just a series of fully encapsulated components, each one limited to one specific task. Over 50% of the code consists of XML comments, there are example projects demonstrating the major components and there are step-by-step guides here in CodePlex under the 'Documentation' tab.

If you're getting lost in the sheer amount of stuff provided, just use the overview in the documnetation to see what it can do and pick one or two components that you think benefit you the most - ignore the rest. It's not an all or nothing decision - everyone has to start somewhere. Or try some other XNA toolkits, if my interface-heavy architecture isn't a good match to your programming style.

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:56 PM
Edited Aug 13, 2011 at 10:58 PM

thanks for the reply :)

I found some code i was looking for in the designer. By inputs I meant controls, like buttons, textboxes and such.

Am I to manually edit this code to adapt my own ? Because it says that code is wizard generated or something?

thanks !

I believe you have the best free product availlable on the market for xna right now for every other i tested were discontinued or really bloated